environmental services?

Since last week i tried to spare my time to read about environmental service..this is the main focus of the project under my organization. I'm almost one year in this organization but almost dull about my project activities (true). Somehow I didn't acquire enough knowledge on what I am currently contributing and in my view it won't lead me to any advance level if I'm just standing on the same point.

I started with reading a journal by Sven Wunder "The Efficiency of PES (Payment for Environmental Services) in Tropical Conservation". It's pretty easy to digest and it explains the basic components of PES such as its terminology, applied types of PES in tropical area, and the obstacles in implementing it. Although Sven only narrated it on PES supply point of view, this paper can be a good initial knowledge for beginners.

I understand now that PES or broadly named as RES (Rewards for Environmental Services) is a potential conservation types to retain our environment from the effects of climate change. However, since PES still consider as a new "brand" in the world of conservation, it may require further analysis to collect more informative and reliable data to convince buyers (people that use environmental service product) to give a "rewards" for the sellers (people that provide environmental service, such as community that lives in the upland area). The goal is to display a proof of "additionality" (added value) in implementing PES. We also hope that if this succeed, the result will sustain in a long term.

Many more to tell about this papers, but in general PES can lead into a new solution upon the threat of global climate change...

*and I'm still trying to open my eyes*

Comments

Popular Posts